America’s Dreaming Again

Chorus

I sharpened the knives
Four or five times
The cuts will be clean
America is dreaming
Again

Machete at the ready
Cuts will be clean
Sharp and steady
Another busted seam

The baby’s screaming again
Blood will be streaming
Like it’s really happening
America is dreaming
Again

Bridge

Careful what you wish for
Cried the voice from the floor
Once I was the bride
Standing at the alter
Waiting for a man to
Love me for all that I am

M8

When a joke lives
Lives in this moment
I have to make sure that this
Calm serenity
Is everything
I hoped it would be

Verse 1

A girl can be raised
Through thick and the thin
A boy can be praised
For absolutely everything
One of these days
The hopes of defending
These old-fashioned ways
Is anything worth saving

Verse 2

A girl can be late
For every single date
Hate can be fake
Or an honest mistake
Play on my fears
It is condescending into
A bucket full of tears
Rapidly descending

Comments